Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Celebrities Who Were Bullied


Bullying has been around for ages and most likely will continue to occur. Below is a picture showing a relatively common instance of bullying. There are two school aged boys somewhere on school property, most likely after school during the fall months. We have a bigger stronger boy on the right using intimidation and physical strength to instill fear in the weak. Of course, the weaker of the two will submit as seen below. The smaller boy on the left seems very scared. He is not doing anything to defend himself probably because he doesn't want to make the situation worse. Any kind of defense tactic may set the bully off into really hurting him. He'd rather let the bully continue with his behavior in order to maintain some sort of safety for himself. Unfortunately, this reaction in just putting up with the bullying is a very common reaction amongst kids and adults. Confronting the bully may seem too overwhelming. It is the fear for one's safety that keeps them submissive to the bully as seen below.  
 
 
 
 

Below are a few celebrities that have experienced bullying in their life.

 Sure, they may be at the top of their game now -- wildly successful and celebrated worldwide for their work in showbiz -- but did you know that some of your favorite musicians and actors were actually bullied as kids?


Rihanna

Growing up, Rihanna was teased—to the point of fist fights—for having paler skin than her peers."I was cultured in a very 'black' way. But when I got to school I'm being called 'white' . . . they would look at me, and they would curse me out. I didn't understand." From an interview with Allure Magazine.



 
 
 
Robert Pattinson  

"I got beaten up by a lot of people when I was younger. I was a bit of an idiot, but I always thought the assaults were unprovoked. It was after I first started acting and I liked to behave like an actor, or how I thought an actor was supposed to be, and that apparently provoked a lot of people into hitting me." Parade Magazine.


 
 
 
Justin Timberlake

"I grew up in Tennessee, and if you didn't play football, you were a sissy. I got slurs all the time because I was in music and art . . . I was an outcast in a lot of ways . . . but everything that you get picked on for or you feel makes you weird is essentially what's going to make you sexy as an adult." From an interview on Ellen.


 
 
 
 
Christian Bale 
 
 "I took a beating from several boys for years. They put me through hell, punching and kicking me all the time," Bale told People Magazine. Then he added: "If you can face the bullying at school and come through it stronger, that is a lesson for life." Via BBC News.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
You may think celebrities have it all and that their lives are perfect. It’s not true! There are so many celebrities that were bullied in school, making them proof that it does get better.

I know we discuss bullying a lot, but as long as it’s still happening we’re still going to talk about it. Bullying, unfortunately, is something that a lot of people have to endure. And it’s not just in school either. Adults fall victim to bullying as well. It’s a problem that can affect everyone, and that’s why it’s so important to discuss.

It’s so easy to let bullying get you down. I have firsthand experience watching it done to a loved one and it’s really difficult to see a light at the end of the tunnel. But there is a light! 
 
 
 

1 comment:

  1. I can relate to the story about Rihanna. I am half Hispanic half irish. My cousins on my hispanic side of the family call me the "white cousin" because I conduct myself differently than they do. It makes me feel like an outsider, and almost unrelated to these people I've grown up beside and share blood with! (and its all out of jealousy!)

    ReplyDelete